Special Education Department
6001 Gulf Freeway, Building E
Houston, Texas 77023
Director of Special Programs
Tel.: (713) 929-2356
The Special Education Information Center (SPEDTex) provides resources and interactive features for increasing family awareness of disabilities and special education processes, with the goal of improving partnerships between schools and families.
Live Chat: www.spedtex.org
Navigate Life Texas
Resources and support for families of kids with disabilities and special healthcare needs: Navigate Life Texas webpage.
The Right to Make Choices
A supported decision-making tool kit for people with disabilities and their supporters:
The Right to Make Choices Toolkit
This resource was developed by Disability Rights Texas - a federally mandated legal protection and advocacy agency for people with disabilities in Texas.
Who Can Use this Took Kit?
A range of people may be involved in supporting a person with a disability to make his or her own decisions and develop his or her knowledge, skills and confidence to make decisions. This toolkit is designed to help:
- A person with a disability who wants support to make decisions
- A supporter who provides decision-making support to a person with a disability
- Family members who want to better understand supported decision-making and other alternatives to guardianship
- Legal and educational professionals and service providers
Helpful Resources for Students with Autism
CDC Autism Resource Web Page
Autism Parenting Magazine
THE Arc -Autism Now
Home Modifications for kids with Sensory Concerns
Texas Driving with Disability
Driving with Disability
- Delayed or Denied Evaluations & Compensatory Services
- Evaluaciones Retrasadas o Denegadas & Servicios Compensatorios
- Publicly Report (recommendation to post on the LEA website) if: Significant Disproportionate (SD Year 3) and upon review any revision of policies, practices, and procedures used in the identification or placement in particular education settings, including disciplinary removals are made.
- Significant Disproportionality | Texas Education Agency
- State and Federal Activity Updates Regarding Significant Disproportionality Requirements
- Authority: Code of Federal Regulations
IDEA, Dyslexia, MTSS, and Section 504
George I. Sanchez Charter School News
- STAAR Dates for 2023
- Graduation Announcement - 2023
- Sanchez South Announces Interim Principal
- Savanna Salinas Story
- Sponsor a George I. Sanchez Senior
See All News