The Houston area is home to around 110,000 opportunity youth and young adults – defined by the Kinder Institute as young people ages 16 to 24 who neither work nor attend school. Institutional obstacles, limited access to guidance, and feelings of disconnection may challenge these young people's ability to thrive in their environment.
The Work and Learn Center offers a pathway for opportunity youth to define and pursue their goals for their education, employment, finances, and personal lives. Through engaging workshops, peer-to-peer learning, and hands-on projects, our 6-week Design, and Digital Literacy program provides students with paid training in career readiness, web development, digital literacy, and graphic design. We additionally offer personalized career counseling and opportunities to connect with employers in order to help students implement this training outside of the classroom and take steps to achieving their individual goals.
- Basics of Adobe Photoshop and Canva
- Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Web Development
- Professional Communication
- Personal and Professional Goal-setting
- Resume, Cover Letter and Interview Skills
- Job Search Skills
- Financial Literacy
Future 6-Week Cohort Dates
- March 20 - April 28, 2023
- June 5 - July 14, 2023
- August 7 - September 15, 2023
- October 9 - November 17, 2023
In-person classes are held Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
- 6-week paid training course
- Must be ages 16-24
- Must be available for weekday classes
- Cannot be enrolled in college or university
- Cannot have a college degree
- Cannot be employed full time